Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
November 4, 1994     The Message
PAGE 30     (30 of 32 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 30     (30 of 32 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
November 4, 1994
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




26 The Message -- for Catholics of Southwestern Indiana 1944-1994 ST. MARTIN, WHITFIELD Founded 1875 Pastor - Rev. Msgr. Carl Shetler Total families: 170 Total parishioners: 500 ST. JOHN, LOOGOOTEE Founded 1860 Pastor -- Rev. Leo C. Kissel Deacon -- Joseph Sturgis Total families: 710 Total parishioners: 1,905 Celebrating the 50th Anniversary with the Catholic Diocese of Evansville ST. MARY, SHOALS. Founded 1853 Pastor - Rev. Msgr. Carl Shetler Total families: 56 Total parishioners: 100 The parishioners of St. John Church, Loogootee Celebrate 50 Years with the Diocese of Evansville Vincennes Contnued frompage 21 completed in 1927, and in 1929, 85 girls from an orphan- age in Indianapolis moved to Highland. Neighborhood Catholic fami- lies attended Mass at the Sem- inary Chapel and later at the orphanage chapel. The orphan- age was closed in 1972, but parishioners determined that thier parish would continue. Father Albert Scheller is the pastor. During the 1840s, German Catholic families in the French community of Vincennes at- tended Mass at the Old Cathe- dral or at the old St. Rose Chapel. In 1847 they won the bishop's approval for a church of their own, St. John the Baptist. Father Charles Schneider- jans was the first pastor. Only 12 priests -- six of them German-born and one a Swiss -- have served as pastor in more than 145 years. Father Aegidius Merz, pas- tor from 1863 to 1897, en- larged the church building and started the first parish school. The first school was replaced in 1872, and it in urn was re- placed in 1953 by the building which now serves the larger community as Flaget Elemen- tary School. Father Donald Ackerman is the pastor; Father Robert Ne- mergut, associate. The first church in Sullivan County was built in 1868, and named in honor of St. Joachim. The area was served by priests from the Terre Haute area. St. Mary Church -- now the only Catholic church in the county -- was built in 1898, under the supervision of Fa- ther Denis O'Donovan. He had been appointed to the parish in Linton, but chose to live in Sul- livan. The next pastor, Father Adam Baron, moved to Linton, and St. Mary Church was once again a mission parish. Father William V. Boland came to Sullivan as resident pastor in 1904. Many parishioners remem- ber Father Henry J. Bilz, a long-time pastor who drove 450 to 600 miles a week to visit the families. A new church, office and multi-purpose building was completed under the supervi- sion of Father Raymond Bren- ner in 1980. A new bell tower is the most recent addition to the church facility. Father Kenneth Graehler is the current pastor. St. Peter Church, Linton, was built in 1963, in the mid- dle of Vatican II. Original plans called for a "high altar" against the wall, but those plans were changed to follow new liturgical directions. A new parish center was also built at that same time, under the supervision of Fa- ther Joseph Stockier. The parish was established in 1901. Father Adam Baron was the first resident pastor. A school opened in 1909. In 1956, the parish purchased an unused public school -- which has since been sold and is now a private residence. The church was in 1988, during of Father Ronald and Benedictine Knapp from Arc Church fre on joint projects churches. Father Hilary current pastor. : Planning for Neri Church one-story frame built in 1908 priests from Father William the first resident 1934. After fire church in 1968 brated in the on weekdays and nell gymnasium The Holy Faro and a painting Neri in the vestibule were Hilary Vieck, a Father Tim current pastor. A "temporary" in 1908, serves Arc parish Adam Baron in the areaat A parish 1985, provided the a large kitchen and Father Kenneth the current pastor Church in Sulliva Joan of Arc in Sacred relatively new Vincennes, was 1908, with as the first pastor. The church and bination building pleted in 1909 as tory and a convent currently parish The new cated in 1924; a 1961. The to the public Heart and the city sent new Flaget and Rivet Junior High School. served as pastor sino Holy Name C] established in serve Catholics Greene Original cluded the 1959; a Father Eugene first pastor; chicken house as center. Later the chicken house of farmland were pay for parish A combination catechetical 1965. A church 1982 provided a room, more petus to remodel Benedictine 3! Terence Knap, Administrator in first woman to be such a position Benedictine Sister cher was appointed parish in 1991.