Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
November 4, 1994     The Message
PAGE 28     (28 of 32 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 28     (28 of 32 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
November 4, 1994
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




4 The Message -- for Catholics of Southwestern Indiana ALL SAINTS, CANNELBURG Founded 1891 Pastor- Rev. Frank G. Rennet Total families: 55 Total parishioners: 125 I .... i .... " ST. PETER, LINTON Founded 1901 Pastor - Rev, Hillary F. Vieck Total families: 230 Total parishioners: 1558 Celebrating the 50th Anniversary with the Catholic Diocese of Evansville ST. MARY, BARR TOWNSHIP Founded 1834 Pastor- Rev. Frank G. Renner Total families: 33 Total parishioners: 100 Celebrating the 50th Anniversary with the Catholic Diocese of Evansville HOLY NAME, BLOOMFIELD Founded 1959 Pastoral Moderator and Pastoral life Coordinator- Sr. Diane Fischer, O.S.B. Total families: 115 Total parishioners: 300 Washington Dean The past and the By PAUL R. LEINGANG built in 1877 to Message editor The Washington Deanery in- cludes 12 parishes in Daviess, Martin and Pike counties. Fa- ther Leo Kiesel, pastor of St. John Church, Loogootee, is the dean. St. Peter Church, Mont- gomery, established in 1818 at Black Oak Ridge, is the sec- ond oldest parish in the state. Only the Old Cathedral at Vin- cennes is older. Father Simon Lalumiere was the first pastor. The first log church was re- placed by a larger one in 1823, a new frame church in 1827, and a brick church in 1842. Montgomery has a certain amount of fame as the place where Notre Dame was not built. Father Edward Sorin and the Holy Cross Brothers began to build a school there, but moved to South Bend. Father Lowell Will is the current pastor. St. Mary Church in Daviess County once served more than 150 families, soon after it was established in 1834. Today, the county is home to more Amish than Catholic families. Father Frank Renner is the pastor. St. Simon Church, Wash- ington, was establlshed in 1837, with Father Simon Lalu- miere the first pastor. Bishop Celestine de la Hailandiere of Vincennes dedicated the church in 1842. Brothers of St. Joseph started a school started five years later in the church base- ment. In 1857, three Sisters of Providence came to Washing- ton to teach. Since 1973, a consolidated school system serves the two parishes; the "Irish parish" and the "German parish" work together in other ways as well. Father David Martin is the pastor; Father Gordon Mann, associate. Sts. Peter and Paul Church, Petersburg, is the only Catholic church in Pike County. Some parish families have to travel 15 miles to church The parish was established in 1847, but it was not until 1946 that it had a resident pastor -- Father Michael Wolf, who was appointed by the new Bishop of Evansville, Henry Grimmelsman. Father William Dietsch is the pastor. Bishop Benedict Joseph Flaget of Bardstown visited Martin County as early as 1823. He ordained Vincennes native Simon Lalumiere in 1830 and assigned him to serve the land between the forks of the White River. Irish born Father Patrick Murphy founded St. Joseph Church, Bramble, in this ter- ritory, in 1853. It was located first at Miles Settlement, and eventually at Bramble Cross- roads. The new church was Irish Catholics work on the Canal, and on the Mississippi Father Bert served as pastor expected death onl this past summer. : St. Patrick Daviess Corning in Bartholomew PierS;: the many Irish ilies in the area. originated 20 Glencoe, where Lalumiere built a 1840. A late pastor, Father paid off parish debts profits from an purchased by the tended by the Father Lowell the parish from Montgomery. "Maryland Catholics traveled tucky, swelled in and spread to Martin Counties Early settlers falo path, but it placed by a road of immigrants built Missouri Railroad. German born Fat Mougin established Church, The larish and bells and were added to building. A school we nineteenth school was corn middle of the tury. Parish tend public schools, ;: A parish center vides space for activities. Father Leo Kiesel : tor. : St. Mary was built in 1869,! once known as ther Louis Guegen Loogootee to guide in its early days. The newest parish hall, was 1988. Msgr. Carl She the parish from Whitfield. CatholiCS nority in the area. St. Mary tablished in German national the pastoral ther John Peter newly-ordained embourg. The new ch solemnly blessed school building in 1882 and Now no longer parish, St. Mary ing St. Simon gether in various Father Ronald pastor. St. Martin built at Whitfield foundation of s See