Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
October 2, 1987     The Message
PAGE 21     (21 of 32 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 21     (21 of 32 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
October 2, 1987
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




retch, Washington Father James Koressel, above, was ordained May 17, 1969. He has served parishes in Jasper, Linton, Jasonville, Bloomfield, and Washington. He was appointed pastor at St. Simon, July 1, 1986. Massive and ornate main doors, above right, welcome parishioners to the church. The stained glass window representing St. Joseph and the Child Jesus, immediately below, corresponds with the representation of the Blessed Mother at the opposite side door. The cornerstone, bottom ght, clearly shows 1886 as the date of completion of the present building, on the site of the old church. The cost was $25,000 for the church built by Father John W. Doyle. rashington parish celebrates County Catholicism Lh an- ditions of had been the first,: e diocese :y area of t. Mary at aniver- is also ing town und in From 1834 to 1839, under the first bishop of Vincennes, Simon Brute, 27 churches and 30 mission chapels were built in the diocese. -Bishop Simon Brute and Father Simon Lalumiere were close friends, according to the account in the parish history publication. The friend- shibegan when Father Lalumiere led the welcome of e newly con- secrated bishop to Vincennes. "...on November 12, 1834 Bishop Simon commenced the visita- tion of his new diocese. St. Peter's in Montgomery was the first church that he visited.. From Montgomery he went to another con- gregation seven miles distant and on Monday the 14 he blessed the new church which Father Simon wanted to call St. Simon, in honor i of the new Bishop." The new bishop, however, chose to name the ! church in honor of St. Mar]/.. "Late in the fall of 1837, Bishop Brute instructed Fr. Simon to :7 See ST. SEON page 13