Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
September 18, 1987     The Message
PAGE 13     (13 of 24 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 13     (13 of 24 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
September 18, 1987
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




-h0000-0000naviess County , Once the center of mission activity, St. Mary Church is now a mission itself, attend- ed from All Saints, Can- nelburg, by Father PaUl L. Roos, fight. Families who are members of the parish now number 36. A monument at the center of the quiet cemetery calls attention to the involvement of St. Mary families in the nation's wars, right center. Across the road from the church and cemetery is the parish hall, below right, a gathering spot for "many dinners, receptions and reu- nions" in the life of the parish. haslarge place in history of diocese aber .- donation of one pig from each family in the parish. Father De. St. Palais stayed ree - years at St. Mary; in 1839 he was sent by the bishop of Vincennes to the outer limits of ' the diocese, to the small village of Chicago. th The third church was built by a Father Le Franc, mostly of bricks he made Isi i hilf. Another French priest, Father John Guegen, was next to serve St, Mary Church; afterhim, in 1848, came Father Patrick Murphy who wasborn in Ireland and T  educated at Vincennes. Father Murphy had been ordained in 1847; his first assignment was to St. Vin- :s, , cent Parish in Shelby County, Ind., with Indianapolis as a mission. 3 .... Father Murphy is credited with establishing a church at Bramble, in Martin  County, named for St. Joseph. During his pastorate, 1848-56, seven other missions were ,ht ': established around the mother parish of St. Mary: Mt. Pleasant, Bloomfield, Scotland, Miles Settlement, Bedford, Bloomington, and Shoals. During his pastorate, too, many s St. Irish immigrants who cane to Daviess County to construct the Wabash and Erie Canal, became members of St. Mary Church. wn. Father John Mougin, a West German priest, was appointed pastor in 1858. Two her ye'* later he changed his residence to Loogootee, where he was building a church. St. the Mary remained a mission of Loogootee through the Civil War years, until 1866. Three pastors had some part in planning a fourth church, but it was Father Timothy O'Donaghue who was responsible for the construction begun in 1879. It was 'd 100 feet long, 45 feet wide, and had a steeple 110 feet high; a thousand sheets of gold leaf were used to cover the cross atop the steeple, when the church was repaired in 3 June, 1925. Just months later, on the Sunday after Christmas, the church was destroyed by a fire blamed on a defective flue. :a The fifth St, Mary Church was intended originally as a temporary structure, The t the See ST. MARYPaSe 14 A, Church IN 47553 Father Paul L. Roos, 3hurch, Cannelburg. (812) 486-3375 n.'.:; .... : .......... James J. Fuhs ................. Sunday 10 a,m. t Text and Photos by Paul Leingang