Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
August 2, 1996     The Message
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
August 2, 1996
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




by Task Force recommendations ry Shepherd Pastor John, Daylight PLC lrist the King Pastor ected 2005 Priests 1 Order Priest 4 PLCs Day School since has been St. Theresa, E)ansville 1983). 1978, geographical bound- s were defined for the indicating a change in as a parish for Black most recent change will this month, when Sis- take as Pastoral Life Coordi- Sister Nesmith, a mem- rof the Congregation of the the Blessed Sacra- is to begin her duties at g. 14. Nesmith will be the in the diocese, join- Other "non-prieSts" in parish ). currently are assigned ,, Bloomfield; Saint Santa Claus, and St. Knox County. P until May 1, a PLC was to Blessed Sacrament Oakland City. Father Preske, a retired priest N.D., administrator of the he was fatally injured in g accident and July 25. No decision had L rnade about his successor City. Earl Rohleder, who associated with St. Church in various capaci- years, was recently to Holy Angels New Harmony. John, there are 75 fern- persons). The religious 11 el- school and three high students. Masses are cele- :Sundays at 11 a.m. future, St. John will be of a cluster of three according to the rec- of a task force. A is recommended Mary Church; a PLC for and Holy Trinity will an where Mass only on spe- Evansville: Holy Trinity Parishioners of Holy Trinity have witnessed many changes over the years -- including its es- tablishment as a German na- tional parish in 1851, a fire which destroyed the church in 1950, the end of national status and the union of the parish with the former Assumption Cathe- dral. Holy Trinity, scene of Catholic school activity since 1860, was the original location in 1919 of what became Reitz Memorial High School in 1925. Mater Dei High School began as the "Memorial Annex" in 1946, at Holy Trinity School m a tempo- rary arrangement until the new building wa s opened in 1949, Holy Trinity also serves as the "Pro-Cathedral" for the Diocese of Evansville, which does not have a cathedral since Assump- tion was demolished to make way for downtown redevelop- ment. The dramatic changes in the life of the parish are about to make yet another unprecedented move in the recent history of the Catholic Church. The future parish staffing task force recom- mends that Holy Trinity become an oratory, where Mass would be celebrated only on special occa- sions. Msgr. Michael O.J. Wolf is pastor of Holy Trinity. The parish staff includes Angela Mar- tin, DRE, and Carolyn DiLegg, CRE. Weekend Masses are cele- brated Saturdays at 5:10 p.m. and Sundays, 7:30 and 10:30 a.m. Holy Trinity, according to the plan, would be linked with St. Mary and St. John churches. A priest-pastor would be assigned to St. Mary, and a PLC to St. John. Evansville: St. Benedict The only Benedictine parish in the city of Evansville, St. Bene- dict was established in 1912. Other parishes currently staffed by Benedictine monks from St. Meinrad include St. Mary, Hunt- ingburg; St. Henry, St. Henry, and St. John Chrysostom, New Boston. Benedictine Father Martin Hoppenjans was the first pastor; he met with families from the area at the "outside" chapel of the Poor Clares Monastery to cel- ebrate Mass. School opened at St. Benedict in 1913, in a parishioner's home. The first school building at the parish was ready for occupancy in March 1914; the combination school and sisters' quarters were on the first floor; the church space was on the second floor. The Lombard Basilica style church building was completed in 1928. A large convent at the parish now houses parish offices. The rectory has recently been remod- eled, and the church has been air-conditioned. Perhaps the biggest change in any of the structures came, how- ever, in 1969, when the large marble altar canopy was moved forward so that Mass could be celebrated "facing the people." The biggest change in staffing, perhaps, is occurring this month. Benedictine Father Edward Lin- ton, associate pastor, is being as- signed to pursue a master's degree in communications. Benedictine Father Gregory Chamberlin will be the only priest assigned to the care of the parish. The parish staff includes Benedictine Sister Mary Agnes Sermersheim, RCIA direc- tor, DRE; Bob Mehringer, devel- opment director; Judi Rohrig, Communications Coordinator; Bernadette Haury, music minis- ter; Charles Kuhn, business man- ager; Georgia Muensterman, fi- nancial accountant; Jim DuPont, supervisor, buildings and grounds, and Pat Levell, parish secretary. Jeffrey Yando is principal of the school, which has 17 teach- ers and 278 pupils. The religious education pro- gram serves three pre-school 44 elementary, and two high school students. Weekend Masses are celebrated Satur- days at 4:30 p.m.; Sundays, 6, 8:30, 10:30 a.m. and 12 noon. Benedictine Father Harold Ham- merstein, who re- sides in the parih, usually presides at the first Mass on Sundays. The parish has 1,103 families (2,805 persons). According to the task force rec- ommendations, St. Benedict should continue to have a Bene- dictine priest as pastor, Evansville: Holy Rosary Holy Rosary Church, near the southern edge of miles of malls and businesses along the multi- ple lanes of Green River Road, was born in the middle of corn fields along a "chip and seal" road. Msgr. Maurilius Bilskie, founding pastor, resides at Holy Rosary as pastor emeritus. The first, temporary church was built in 1951. By 1953, the school was built and filled with 237 children. School enrollment doubled two years later. There were 120 families in the parish in 1950 when it was es- tablished; today, there are 1,493 families (4,026). Holy Rosary is the eastern- most church in Evansville, with its nearest neighbor to the east, St. John Church, Newburgh. The area between Holy Rosary and St. John continues to attract new business and residential con- struction. Father James E. Sauer, 46, is pastor of Holy Rosary;. Msgr. Bilskie, 81, is in residence. Fa- ther Brian Holtz, 27, is associate pastor. The parish staff includes Richard Preske and Robert Thur- good, Deacons; Steve Schlachter, facilities manager; Mary Kaye Falcony, DRE, and Barbara Klein, parish secretary. Mark McDonald is principal of Holy Rosary School, which has 24 teachers and 443 pupils. The religious education pro- gram serves 162 students: five pre-school, 120 elementary, and 37 high school. Weekend Masses are cele- brated at 5 p.m. Saturdays and 7:30, 9, 11 a.m., and 5:15 p.m. on Sundays. Holy Rosary will continue to have a pastor -- but only one priest m in the future, according to the task force projection. Evansville: Christ the King New consecution is underway at Christ the King, to provide more room for the growing parish and school. Christ the King was the last parish in what is now the Dio- cese of Evansville, to be estab- lished under the jurisdiction of Bishop Joseph Ritter of Indi- anapolis. Planning began in 1938, six years before the new diocesan lines were drawn and the Diocese of Evansville was es- tablished. Christ the King was founded in part to relieve the crowded con- ditions at St. Benedict Church. Father William Lensing was appointed the first pastor in 1941 of the church which was estab- lished in 1942. The first church was tempo- , ,,,, ,, he task force recommends moving St. Theresa Church from the Evansville West Deanery into the Evansville East Deanery. I I II II rary, and was replaced by the current building, which was completed in 1952. The school opened in the fall of 1949. Sis- ters of St. Benedict staffed the school, which started with en- rollment of 371 and went up from there. By 1962, school enrollment was 665. The establishment of Nativity Church helped to re-. lieve some of the crowding .at Christ the King. The parish currently lists 581 families (1,589 persons). Msgr. Kenneth B_ Knapp, 59, is pastor. Msgr. Knapp is Vicar General, respoible for diocesan leadership during the absence of the bishop. Parish staff includes Marty Homing, RCIA; Mickey Flynn, youth minister, and Betty Jo Knapp, parish secretary. Weekend Masses are cele- brated at 5 p,m. Saturday and on Sundays at 8 and 10:30 a.m. Christ the King will have a resident priest-pastor in the years to come, according to the recommendations of the task force. Evansville: St. Joseph St. Joseph was established in 1905, with Father Patrick H. Rowan as the first pastor. A com- bination school and church building was completed in 1906. An original cemetery at the parish was moved in 1915 to what is now St. Joseph Ceme- tery, serving the Catholic popu- lation of Evansville. School enrollment at St. Joseph reached 600 in 1955, the year after the new 14-room school was built. Enrollment de- clined in the 1980s. Ascension School, which opened in 1987 to serve both St. Joseph and nearby St. Anthony churches, was closed one year later. The parish currently has 470 families (894 persons). Father Wilfred L. Englert is pastor of St. Joseph. The parish staff includes Benedictine Sister Agnes Marie Dauby, pastoral as- sociate and DRE; Jeffrey Ward, pastoral associate and music minister; Matthew Schaefer, youth minister, and Evelyn Bethel, administrative assistant. The religious education pro- gram serves 85, 17 pre-school, 53 elementary, and 15 high school students. Weekend Masses are 5:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays at 8 and 10:30 a.m. In the future, a PLC will be assigned to SL Joseph, accord- ing to the task force recommen- dation. The parish will be linked with St. Theresa Church, where a priest-pastor will be assigned. Evansville: St. Theresa Established in the post-war years, St. Theresa Church was first located in two former gov- ernment buildings. Father Cor- nelius Sahm was the first pas- tor. The new school opened in 1949 with 241 pupils. The audi- torium-style church was completed in 1950. Expansion of the school and improve ments to the church have been regular events in the life of the parish. Parish member- ship is now listed at 829 families (2,174 persons). Father Eugene Schroeder is pastor of SL Theresa. The pariah . staff includes Franciscan Sister Annette Lar,enderfer, pastoral associate; Benedictine Sister Ren6e Wargel, director of liturgy, and Lynn Ubelhor, ad- minist.rative assistant. Marie Brandle is principal of the school, which has 18 teach- ers and 235 pupils. The religious education pro- gram serves 30 preschool and 90 elementary school students. Weekend Masses are cele- brated Saturdays at 5 p,m. and Sundays at 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. In the future, the task force recommends that a pri. continue to be assigned to St. Theresa, The sh is to be linked with SL Joseph, where a PLC is tobe , ng : to the pmpoul.