Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
July 19, 1996     The Message
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 19, 1996
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Task Force 00recommendations ery 2005 Priests Order Priests 3 PLCs St. Ferdinand - cele Is. and was to be a Catholic la 1845 on land at the e community, center of the present of Providence came to in the early years. left in 1867, Benedic- Chrysostom Foffa ap- St. Walburg Bene- COnvent in Covington, nstitution at Monastery Immacu- tion is one of the .groups of Benedictine In the United States served the community for most of Father Firmus first diocesan pas- twentieth century, 1964 to 1977. Philip Kreilein has 1991. the needs of the pre- the parish ; to build a new build- education and purposes. includes Father .associate pastor; DRE; Betty ; Ue- minister; Phyllis Klueh and music minis- One Jochim, parish is 1,172 families education pro- 479 and 135 high Masses are cele- aturday at 5:30 p.m. at 6:30, 8:30 and tor, according to the task force proposal. (Other parishes with an asso- ciate pastor are St. Joseph, Jasper; Holy Rosary and Sacred Heart, both in Evansville, and St. John, Vincennes. At St. Benedict, Evansville the Benedictine asso- ciate pastor, Father Edward Lin- ton, will depart for another as- signment this summer.) St. Anthony: St. Anthony Father Joseph Erbacher, pas- tor of St. Anthony Church since 1986, is the first diocesan priest pastor since 1870. Benedictine priests staffed the parish in most of the years since its establish- ment in 1864. Parish trustees had purchased land and deeded it to Bishop Mau- rice de St. Palais of Vin- cennes. Parish history records that the early families believed they would have a better chance of getting a priest for their community if they built the church first, and they suc- ceeded. The future parish staffing task force rec- ommends that a priest- pastor continue to reside at St. Anthony, with ad- ditional responsibilities for the community at Sa- cred Heart, Schnellville, where a PLC is proposed Parish staffat St. Anthony in- cludes Wilma Wendholt, coordi- nator of religious education, and music minister, Pat Fleck. Membership is 514 families (1,499 persons). The religious education program serves 49 pre- school, 181 elementary and 63 high school age students. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 6 p.m. and on Sundays at 7:30 and 10 a.m. Schnellville: Sacred Heart The Catholics of Schnellville parish is one ofonly tin associ- 2005, the parish resident priest-pas- once took the bishop for a ride and convinced him they needed a church of their own, according to parish history. Since 1865, Schnellville Catholics had attended Mass at nearby St. Anthony or Celestine, but in 1873, they took advantage of the bishop's unfamiliarity with his vast diocese. Bishop Maurice de St. Palais came from Vincennes to visit Ce- lestine. A committee of Schnel- lville Catholics met him and in- vited him to come see the place where they wanted to build a church. They took the longest, roughest, most circuitous road possible, convincing the bishop that they had bad roads and too far to go for Mass. Benedictine priests provided sacramental ministry in the early years, from the parish es- tablishment in 1876 until 1885. Parish records were lost in a fire at the rectory in 1898. A school was operated at the parish until 1976. Father Firmus Dick, 68, is the current pastor, appointed in 1988. Parish staff includes ieggy Mundy, DRE; Cheryl Haas, youth minister, and Bert Hochgesang, secretary. Families number 238 (701 per- sons): The religious education program serves a total of 182 pupils. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 6 p.m. and on Sundays at 7:30 and 9:30 a.m. The advantage parishioners took in 1873 may be reversed in 2005. The future parish staffing task force recommends that a PLC be assigned to Schnellville, and that the parish be linked to St. Anthony, where a resident priest-pastor will be assigned. Celestine: St. Peter Celestine Father Joseph Kundek bought the land and laid out the streets and the lots of the town. The pur- chase of the lots provided the money to build the first church, fn 2005, /seven diocesan % przests, two Benedictines and three pastoral life coordinators would serve these parishes. ,i, iir named in honor of the Bishop of Vincennes, Celestine de la Hai- landiere, in 1843. Twenty years later, with 150 families in the community, a new church was proposed. The pas- tor, Father Joseph Meister, wanted to build the church in the city. The parishioners wanted to build it on the nearby hilltop. The parishioners won the argu- ment but lost the pastor. He moved to nearby St. Anthony and guided construction of a church there, instead, for fami- lies there who had originally at- tended Mass at Celestine, Catholic communities at Schnel- lville and Dubois also sprang up from former Celestine parishioners who wanted churches in their own communities. The current church building at Celestine is the fourth building to serve the community. It was dedicated in 1968 during the pas- torate of Father John Finis. Father Robert Bultmann, 55, is the current pastor, appointed in 1994. Parish staff includes Jenny L. Butler, DRE; Mary Louise Tret- ter, secretary, and Loretta Hum- bert, housekeeper and sacristan. Parish membership is 410 families (1,276 persons). The re- ligious education program serves 27 pre-school, 208 elementary and 78 high school pupils. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 6 p.m. in summer and at 5 pm. in winter; and on Sundays at 8 and 1(} a.m. A priest-pastor will continue to serve the community in the fu- ture, according to the staffing proposal, but the pastor will have additional responsibilities for the community at St. Raphael, Dubois, where a PLC is pro- posed. Dubois: St. Raphael The parish at Dubois was es- tablished in 1899. The first frame church was destroyed by fire on Christmas Day in 1917. Parish- ioners worshiped in a nearby building which housed a restau- rant and a hall for two years, until the completion of the base- ment of a proposed new church. After 17 years of using the base- ment level, work on the current building began in 1936. Demoli- tion of a church at West Baden provided much of the building materials. A school, built in 1929, was staffed by lay teachers until Sis- ters of St. Benedict came to teach in 1945. In more recent years, the parish-owned school was leased to the public school sys- tem until 1980, when it was sold to the Northeast Dubeis County School Corporation. Father Donald Spaulding, 65, has been pastor since 1978. Parish membership is 243 families (989 per- sons). Staff includes Rose- marie Denu, coordina- tor of religious educa- tion; Phyliss Fischer, music minister; and Betty Bonifer, secre- tary. The religious educa- tion program serves 18 pre-school, 182 elemen- tary and 60 high school students. Weekend Masses are celebrated on Saturdays at 5 p.m and on Sun- days at 8 and 10 a.m. In the future, a PLC will be assigned to St. Raphael, which will be linked to St. Peter Ce- lestine, according to the staffing proposal. A priest-pastor will be assigned to Celestine. If Dubois families travel to Celestine for Mass, they will re. sume the pattern of worship that was customary, before the parish at Dubois was estab- lished. Deanery restructuring Four parishes currently, in the Jasper Deanery will be affiliated with the Newburgh Deanery, ac- cording to the staffing proposal. \\; \\;, \\; \\; The four churches, which were profiled in the Newburgh Deanery report, July 12, are in Dale, Mariah Hill, New Boston and Santa Claus. The proposal calls for dioce- san priest-pastors at Dale and Mariah Hill, and a Benedictine priest at New Boston. St. Nicholas would continue as it has from its beginning as a parish, with a PLC. Dale: St. Joseph Father Eugene Heerdink was appointed pastor in 1992. Fa- ther Heerdink is also the dioce- san coordinator of the Spanish Speaking Apostolate. Weekend Masses at St. Joseph are in English on Satur- days at 5:30 p.m, and on Sun- days at 8 and 10 a.m. The 11:30 Mass on Sunday morning is cel- ebrated in Spanish. . 'The parish has 325 families, or 985 individuals. Ground was broken March 30 for a new building, to provide re- ligious education classrooms, parish meeting and parish social space. Mariah Hili " German-speaking families in the area first attended St. Fer- dinand Church, then completed their own small, frame church at Mariah Hill in 1857. Bene- dictine priests provided sacra- mental ministry. Father William Dietsch was the first diocesan priest-pastor, appointed in 1979. Father Paul Roos is the current pastor of the parish, which lists 220 families, or 600 individuals Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 6 p,m. and on Sundays at 8 and 10 a.m. A new parish hall and reli- gious education center was ded- icated in 1991, during the pas- torate of Father Albert Scheller. New Boston St. John Chrysostom Church has 53 families, or 170 individ, uals. Within the past several months, exploratory questions have been asked about staffing the parish in New' Boston through a cooperative arrange- ment with St. Meinrad Arch- abbey and the Archdiocese of In- dianapolis. Benedictine Father Micheas Langston from St. Meinrad Archabbey is the current ad- ministrator. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 5 p.m. and on Sundays at 9 a.m. Santa Claus Established as a mission chapel in 1967, St. Nicholas be- came a parish in 1991, on Dec. 6, the feast of St. Nicholas. Bene- dictine Sister Mary Terence Knapp has guided the parish as PLC since its beginning, Ground was broken ['or the new church and parish facility in May 1995. Completion is ex- pected this fall, anl dedication is planned for Dec. 8. Families number 198 (358 persons). Father Cordon Mann, pastor of St. Martin. Chrisney, i3 the pastoral r rator. Weekend Masses are celebrated on Satur- days at 4:30 p.m and on Sun- days at 10 a.m.