Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
July 12, 1996     The Message
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 12, 1996
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




1996 The Message -- for Catholics of Southwestern Indiana 9 ..... Task Force recommendations "-- 2005 Priests )r Priest 0a SUndays at 8 and 10 parish hall and reli- := -ducatlon center was in 1991, during the of Father Albert staffing recom- is to continue with t priest-pastor at The parish would with three other at New Boston, Dale S. New Boston Chrysostom Church or 170 individ- past, the parish ared a Benedictine with St. Boniface la Fulda. What made unique was 'h the two are near each other, in different dioceses. Chrysostom is in the 'f Evansville, while in-Fulda is part of of Indianapo- in the past several exploratory questions asked about staffing in New Boston COoperative arrange- St. Meinrad Arch- the Archdiocese of Recently, Arch- Buechlein an- that Benedictine ill be caring for all of in Perry County, Le Spencer County parish in New rch at New Boston in 1862. Visit- Priests and Bene- have served the for most of Father ngston from St. y is the cur- lnistrator. Benedic- Theodore Heck is the pastor emeritus. The recommendation of the task force is to link St. John Chrysostom with parishes in Dale, Mariah Hill and Santa Claus. The task force recom- mendation presumes that a Benedictine priest would con- tinue to be available to serve the community at New Boston. Newburgh St. John the Baptist Church in Newburgh has the largest number of individual regis- tered, 4,645, in the diocese. Families at St. John number 1,427. (Two parishes in the diocese have a greater number of fami- lies or households registered. They are St. Joseph, Jasper, with 1,908 families, and Holy Rosary, Evansville, with 1,493 families.) The parish in Newburgh has a new church building, a new school addition, a new priests' house and a former private residence converted into new parish offices. Father Joseph Ziliak is pas- tor of the parish, and Dean of the Newburgh Deanery. He also chaired the future parish staffing task force. Father J. Kenneth Walker, adjutant judicial vicar at the diocesan tribunal, resides at St. John. Parish staff includes Deacon Joseph Seibert; Benedictine Sister Jeanne Voges and Lynda Provence, pastoral asso- ciates; BeY Okey, RCIA Direc- tor; Connie Schnapf, DRE Pro- gram Director; Cindy Shoulders, DRE pre-school; Debbie Ziemer, DRE high school; Barb Byers, youth di- rector; Mike Killebrew, music minister, and Angle Knust, parish secretary. The religious education pro- gram serves 59 pre-school chil- dren, and 376 elementary and 49 high school students. Charlotte Bennett is the principal of the parish school, which has 18 teachers and 291 pupils. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 5 p.m. and on Sundays at 7, 8:45 and 11 a.m., and 5:30 p.m. Parish history re- ports the first gath- ering of Catholics in 1862 at a private home. After some talk about building one church for the area, Catholic fami- lies agreed to build two -- St. John in turn of the century, and St. Rupert had a resident pastor, Father Charles Wagner. By 1940 however, parish member- ship had dwindled as farms were sold for strip mining, and the church became a mission of even diocesan priests, one Benedictine and one pastoral life coordinator currently serve the nine parishes proposed for this deanery. I Newburgh and St. Rupert for the families at Yankeetown. Father F. X. Kutassi, pastor of Holy Trinity church in Evansville, celebrated Mass in Newburgh in the early 1860s. Later, Benedictine priests pro- vided sacramental service. Today's large community would be quite a surprise for the families attending St. John in the 1920s, when there were some 34 families in the parish. In the late 1930s, the parish boasted 90 families, and Fa- ther Francis Mellen became the first resident pastor in 1939. As growth continued, the parish expanded and moved to a new site, under the guidance of Father James H. St. Clement, Boonville. During most of the years since then, the parish has shared a priest-pastor with an- other parish. tn 1991, Father Sy Loehrlein was appointed pastor at St. Rupert. The parish has 139 families, or 364 individuals. The religious education pro- gram serves 57 students in ele- mentary and high school. Parish staff includes Rose- mary Boyken, religious educa- tion; Julia Lockridge, music minister, and Eleanora Lath- cry, parish secretary. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 6 p.m. and on Sundays at 10 a.m. The recommendation for the Rodgers, music ministers, and Lori Hermann, administrative assistant. The parish school was estab- lished in the 1870s, in the building which had first served the community as a church. Lee Berg is the current principal, with a staff of 11 teachers. Enroll- ment is 100. The religious edu- cation program serves a total of 104 stu- dents in pre-school, elementary and high school. Lori Hermann is the director of an Early Childhood Learning Center. She and two aides teach 35 children. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 6 p.m, and on Sundays at 8 and 10 a.m. St. Bernard Church will con- tinue to have a resident priest- pastor, according to the task force recommendation. The pastor at Rockport will also serve St. Martin Chrisney, where a PLC will care for the day-to-day needs. Santa Claus St. Nicholas Church, the newest parish in the diocese, is about to complete the newest church building. Es- Rogers. A new school wasbuilt in 1954, a convent in 1956, a new church in 1958 and the rectory in 1960. Those "new" build- ings today are once again outgrown. From the 1960s through the 1980s, the parish usually had a pastor and an associate pastor, or co-pastors. In the fu- ture, the task force recommen- dation calls for one resident priest-pastor to serve the Catholic community at St. John. RedBrush In the 1830s and 1840s, Ger- man families settling in and around Yankeetown invited their families and friends to join them in their newfound !and of opportunity. Benedic- tine priests from St. Meinrad provided sacramental service for the new community, and a church was completed in 1865 and dedicated Jan. 2, 1866. The experience of a Catholic community thriving without a resident pastor includes an ar- rangement made in the early years of St. Rupert. Parish his- tory tells the story of Father Fred Mueller, a diocesan priest who lived at Troy, who came down the Ohio River by boat to the Johnson Landing, where a parishioner would pick him up and take him to St. Rupert Church for Mass. Later, history reports that Father John Book divided the Sundays of each month among three parishes, with two Sun- days at Rockport where he lived, one Sunday at Chrisney and one at St. Rupert. The church and rectory at Red Brush were built at the Tn 2005, the projection is tablishodsion chapelaSina 1967,mis" Jr- that the parishes would st Nicholas has used various build- be staffed by five diocesan: t..gs for vices, including a priests, one Benedictine and three pastoral life coordinators. future calls for a pastoral life coordinator at Red Brush. The parish will be linked with St. Clement, Boonville, where a priest-pastor will reside. Rockport St. Bernard Church was founded in 1850 by the leg- endary priest, Father Joseph Kundek, who also established parishes in Jasper, Ferdinand, and other German-speaking communities. From four families in 1849, the Catholic community has grown to 404 families (1,070 individuals) today. The first church was re- placed by a larger building in 1876. Fire caused by Christ- mas tree candles destroyed the interior on New Year's Day, 1917, and a Gothic interior re- placed the earlier Roman ar- chitecture. The interior was re- stored, during the pastorate of Father Raymond Kuper (1989 to 1994). Father Edward Schnur, ap- pointed in 1994, is the current pastor. He was ordained in 1991, and is one of only nine currently active priests or- dained for the Diocese of Evansville in the past 10 years. Parish staff include Herbert Schulte, financial manager; Joyce Schulte, DRE; Nancy Young, youth minister; Mari- lyn Sermersheim and Sheila "Toy Factory," his- toric St. Paul's Evan- gelicab Protestant Church, and the Santa Claus commu- nity center. St. Nicholas has the distinc- tion of being the only parish established in modern tmes without a resident priest-pas- tor. Benedictine Sister Mary Terence Knapp was appointed as PLC (formerly known as "Pastoral Administrator") in 1990. Sister Knapp had be- come the first PLC in the dio- cese when she was appointed to Holy Name Church, Bloom, field, in 1983. St. Nicholas was established as a parish in 1991, on Dec. 6, the feast of St. Nicholas. Ground was broken for the new church and parish facility in May 1995. Completion is ex- pected this fall, and dedication is planned for Dec. 8. Parish staff includes Bene- dictine Sister Mary Ethel Busam, DRE, and Connie Brady, parish secretary. Families number 198 (358 individuals). The religious ed- ucation program serves 54 ele- mentary and 28 high school students Father Gordon Mann, pastor of St. Martin, Chrisney, is the pastoral "moderator. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 4:30 p.m and on Sundays at I0 a.m, The task force recommenda- tion is to continue with a PLC at Santa Claus. The parish is to be linked with three others in Mariah Hill, New Boston and Dale --. where priests will serve as pastors.