Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
July 5, 1996     The Message
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 5, 1996
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




'Task Force recommenda00tions I. 2005 Priests Staff Holy Cross Church edge of Gibson north of the Van- line. The and several are visible from The mailing ad- tadt. history includes rent" dispute. had been built in It the Bishop of id not bless the 1847, after the had turned over rty deed to the Parishioners who With the pew rent expected to pay, the church one all of the pews, and burned was under inter- and remained 1850 ...... Catholic families in the area continued to thrive, however, and soon a brick church re- placed the old log church, and the school was established. St. James and the neighbor- ing parish in Haubstadt, Sts. Peter and Paul, were linked in some ways in the early days but a proposal at one time to build a sidewalk connecting the two was discarded. According to parish history, the school at St. James had grown too small for all of the children, so Haubstadt families built a one-story frame school in 1866. Religious education for children preparing for First Communion, however, contin- ued to be provided at St. James. Haubstadt children would walk each morning, November until May, to St. James, and back for. afternoon.classes in . Sts. Peter and Paul Church Deacon Stephen Hall Jr. is assigned to the parish. Parish staff includes Kim Channell, DRE; Scott and Kim Scheller, youth ministers, and Sandy Hasenour, music minister. Parish secretaries are Belle Schaefer and Becky Mayer. The parish school has 13 teachers and 83 pupils; Sara Ziliak is the principal. The religious education pro- gram includes 103 students in pre-school, elementary and high school; and six students in special religious education. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 5:30 p.m. and on Sundays at 8 and 10 a.m. The future parish staffing task force recommends that the parish continue to have a resident priest-pastor. The pastor, however, will also be expected to provide priestly service for the community at St. Bernard Church, a neigh- boring parish to the east, at Snake Run. Haubstadt. The idea of a sidewalk was discarded, the story goes, when planners realized they could build a church at Haubstadt for less money. Father Michael Madden has been the pastor of St. James since 1984. Recent years have seen a major expansion of parish and school facilities. There are 359 families, or 1,036 individuals, registered in the parish. Weekend Masses are cele- brated Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 7:45 and 10 a.m. The school currently has 11 teachers and 142 pupils. JoAnn Layman is the princi- pal. The parish religious educa- tion program serves 63 stu- dents in pre-school, elementary and high school. Patty Maurer is the parish secretary. St. James will continue to have a resident priest-pastor, according to the future parish staffing recommendation. Haubstadt Sts. Peter and Paul Church was established in 1877. The first church was planned with the help of Father Joseph Mer- ckl, pastor of St. James, just two miles to the south. Among former pastors of the parish is Msgr. Clarence Lin- dauer, who currently resides with the Little Sisters of the Poor, Evansville. Msgr. Lin- dauer came to Sts. Peter and Paul as a temporary adminis- trator in 1940. He became pas- tor in 1949,nd continued Snake Run St. Bernard Church is lo- cated in eastern Gibson County, in an area known as Snake Run. The mailing ad- dress for the parish is rural Fort Branch. Catholics and Lutherans in the area helped each other build their churches in the 1870s. The first church for St. Bernard Catholics was built in 1877. A wind storm damaged the church in 1884, and a tornado destroyed it in 1892. A new St. Bernard Church ..... : :, ........... church with:a flS,footspi,,waa built, but lightening Struck the through 1981; as pastor emeri- tus, he continued to reside at the parish until his move to his current residence. Father Francis Schroering, appointed in 1991, is the cur- rent pastor. Parish staff in- cludes Becky Epperson, DRE and youth minister; Mark Lutz, music minister, and Peggy J. Tepool, parish secre- tary. The parish has 694 families, or 1,839 individuals. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 6 p,m., and on Sundays at 7:30 and 10 a.m. The parish school traces its origins to a frame building in 1866, a full decade before the parish was established. It cur- rently has 10 teachers and 192 pupils. Karen Stewart is the principal, The religious education pro- gram serves 207 students in pre-school, elementary and high school. No drastic change is pro- posed for the parish in Haub- stadt, which will continue to have a resident priest-pastor, according to the proposal for the future. Fort Branch Holy Cross Church was built in 1956, replacing an older building, formerly a Protestant church, which was used when the parish was established in 1947. Father Bernard Lutz, ap- pointed in 1991, is the current pastor. Msgr. Charles Kaiser, 89, is pastor emeritus, and also re- ,, sides in Fort Branch. tower in the early 1900s, and a 60-foot spire was built to re- place it. The former parish school- house was converted into a parish hall in 1946. In the early years, St. Bernard was the parish with a resident pastor who visited nearby lesser-developed parishes. In 1886, Father Peter Hommes came from Princeton to be the first resident pastor at St. Bernard, and Princeton became the mission commu- nit)'. In later years, the pastor at St. Bernard also cared for the community at Oakland City. Father Francis Bauer, 82, has served as pastor since 1969. Deacon Stephen Hall Jr., who is assigned to the parish at Fort Branch, is also as- signed to St. Bernard. Parish staff also includes Pa- tricia Hall, DRE, and music ministers Marcia Reising and John Silva. The parish has 99 families, or 283 individuals. The religious education pro- gram serves 79 students in preschool, elementary and high school, Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturdays at 6 p.m. and on Sundays at 8 and 9 a.m, The parish will not have a resident pastor in the future, according to the staffing pro. posal. St. Bernard will be linked with its neighbar, Holy Cross at Fort Branch. A part- time PLC or other staff person will care for the day,to.day needs, according tothat pro-