Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
July 4, 1997     The Message
PAGE 8     (8 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 8     (8 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 4, 1997
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




8 The Message -- for Catholics of Southwestern Indiana July, Priests bring parish experience to new as00ig Father Joseph F. Erbacher, the new pastor of St. James Church, Haubstadt, has been pastor of St. Anthony Church, in the Dubois County community of St. Anthony, since 1986. Father Erbacher, 51, was born July 18, 1945. He was ordained a priest March 25, 1972, and recently observed the twenty-fifth anniversary of his ordination. His first assignment was asso- ciate pastor of Holy Rosary Church, Evansville. He subse- quently served as associate pas- tor of St. Joseph Church, Jasper, in 1973, and at Christ the King Church, Evansville, in 1976. Father Erbacher was appoint- ed temporary administrator of St. Peter, Montgomery, All Saints, Cannelburg, and St. Patrick, Daviess County, in 1976. He added teaching, at Washington Catholic High School, in 1977. He was named paster of All Saints Church, Cannelburg, and of St. Patrick Church, Coming, in 1979. In 1981 he also became administrator of St. Mary Church, Barr Township. He was pastor of St. John the Baptist Church, Vincennes, from 1983 until his appointment to St. Anthony in 1986. St. James Church, estab- lished in 1847, has 359 families, for a total of 1,036 parishioners, according to the 1997 diocesan yearbook. The parish has a grade school with 135 pupils and a religious education program serving 63 students, according to yearbook statistics. Newly constructed facilities at the parish include an addition to the school, religious education rooms, and a large meeting area for parish functions. The parish is located in Gibson County, on the northern side of Interstate 64. Its membership includes families in Vanderburgh and Gibson counties. Father Thomas J. Kessler, a long time chaplain at Memori- al High School in Evansville, and pastor of Holy Spirit Church in Evansville since 1991, is the new pastor of St. Joseph Church, Bramble and administrator of St. Martin Church, Whitfield. Father Kessler, 48, was born October 19, 1949.After ordination, June 7, 1975, he was assigned to St. Joseph Church, Jasper, as asso- ciate pastor pro-tem. He was named Chaplain at Memorial High School, Evans- ville, in 1980. He assisted in var- ious parishes. In 1981, he was named administrator of St. Rupert Church, Red Brush, while continuing his work at Memorial High School. He became pastor of Holy Spir- it Church in 1991. St. Joseph Church was established at Bramble in 1853. There are 82 families, or a total of 230 members, according to the 1997 diocesan yearbook. The parish, located in the northern portion of Martin County, is part of the Washington Deanery. Fifty- six students are in the religious education program, according to yearbook statistics. St. Martin Church was founded in 1875 at Whitfield, in the southern portion of Martin County. The parish has 174 fam- ilies, or a total of 500 members, according to the diocesan year- book. There are 89 pupils in the religious education program, according to yearbook statistics. Father Leo C. Kiesel has served as pastor of St. John Church, Loogootee since 1990, and as dean of the Washington Deanery since 1995. Father Kiesel, 60, was born Oct. 15, 1937. He was ordained March 30, 1963, and assigned to St. Mary Church, Evansville, as associate pastor. In 1965, he began teaching at Rex Mundi High School, Evansville. Subsequently, he was named associate pastor of Holy Spirit Church, Evansville, in 1966, and assistant pastor of St. John the Baptist Church, Newburgh, in 1969. In 1970, he was appointed co- pastor of St. John, Newburgh. He was named pastor of St. Martin, Chrisney, in 1976; pastor, St. Agnes, Evansville, in 1978; and pastor, Sts. Peter and Paul, Petersburg, 1985. In 1987, he was temporary administrator, Blessed Sacra- ment, Oakland City, and pastor, Sts. Peter and Paul, Petersburg. He continued as pastor of the parish in Oakland City until he moved to Loogootee. St. Mary Church, Shoals, was established in 1869. There are 60 families, or 158 individual, according to the diocesan year- book. Twenty-two students are enrolled in the religious educa- tion program, according to year- book statistics. Father Michael T. Madden has been pastor of St. James Church, Haubstadt, since 1984. He was dean of the Princeton Deanery from 1987 to 1994. Father Madden, 48, was born April 1, 1949. He was ordained Aug. 22, 1975 and assigned as associate pastor of St. Wendel and to assist the Officialis at the Diocesan Tribunal. He was named associate pas- tor of Christ the King Church, Evansville, in 1977. He began teaching at Memorial High School in 1980, and while teach- ing, also became temporary administrator of Holy Spirit Church, Evansville, in 1981. He was named pastor of St. James Church in 1984. Holy Spirit Church was founded in 1952. Parish mem- bership is 629 families, or 1,511 persons, according to the dioce- san yearbook. The parish has a school, with 189 pupils, and a religious edu- cation program for 21 pre- schoolers, according to yearbook statistics. Father Frank G. has served as Church, Mary Church, B since 1992. Father Rennet, June 9, 1955. - He was ordained MaY 1981, at St. John Church, in 1987, where until being two parishes in Deanery in 1992. St. Philip ] founded in 1908, Serra Club honors Father Francis Schroering, other clergy Father Francis Schroering, pastor of Sts. Peter and Paul Church, Haubstadt, received the Blessed Junipero Serra Award from the Evansville Serra Club. The award was presented during the club's annual Clergy Night, held June 12. "This award is given to the priest who supports and encour- ages seminarians in their voca- tion," said Theresa J. Forster, the club's communications offi- cer. The recipient is selected by seminarians of the Diocese of Evansville. Awards were also lresented to Father Joseph Erbacher who has been ordained 25 years, and Msgr. Carl A. Shetler, who has been ordained 50 years. Father Erbach- "er, currently at St. Anthony Church, St. Anthony, will be the new pastor of St. James Church, Garden surplus? Who you gonna call? If you are a gardener, and you have reached the point when "there is no one you know who needs another zucchini, bell pep- per or more green beans," then that's the time to call the Gar- den Patch volunteers. Wayne Bochert is in charge of the project at Catholic Charities. According to Bochert, surplus produce will be distributed at two locations in Evansville later this month. Surplus fruits and vegetables may be brought to St. Mary Church, Evausville, every Mon- day, starting July 21. Extra gar- den crops may also be brought to Asbury United Methodist Church, Evansville, every Wednesday starting July 23. Produce will be accepted by vol- unteers at the two locations, between 9 and 10:45 a.m.; dis- tribution will follow at 11 a.m. Elderly and low-income fami- lies pay a nominal fee of 25 cents a bag for the fresh produce. All proceeds are used to support the Garden Patch and other food programs in the area. Donations of fruits and veg- etables may be taken to the dis- tribution sites. Call Wayne Bochert (812) 423-5456 for more information. Donations may also be taken to participating parishes, after making contact with the parish representatives listed below: St. John the Baptist, New- burgh m Connie Schnapf, 853-6181. * St. Wendel, St. Wendel -- Deacon Joe Blankenberger, 963-5150. * St. Joseph, Vanderburgh County -- Deacon Gil Fehren- bacher, 963-5026. * St. John, Daylight -- Cel Jarboe, 867-5105. nell. Mere or 411 individuals, the diocesan parish religious gram serves 77 students, ing to yearboot Father TimothY' barge has Philip Neri Church, since 1990. Father Nov. 4, 1947. After ordination, he was Holy Spirit Ch urch, He was appointed tor of Sacred and teacher, Rivet Vincennes, in 1973. He was associate Francis Xavier, 1974; he began Vincent de * St. James, Haubstadt Clarence Reising, 768-6338. Sts Peter and Paul, Haub- stadt-- Richard Meyer, 768-6173. Holy Cross, Fort Branch Beth Schmitt 753-3548. Holy Rosary, Evansville Tom Jones, 476-2462. St. Philip, St. Philip -- Flo- rence Wannemuehler, 985-3039. Holy Redeemer, Evansville- John and Judy Breunig, 424-8838. I FOR COMPLETE ELECTRICAL SERVICE FISCHER ELECTRIC INC. SCHNELLVILLE, IN 389-2418 Haubstadt. Msgr. Shetler, former pastor of St. Martin Church, Whit- field, has retired. Deacon Richard Preske, chap- lain of the Evansville Serra Club, gave a remembrance of the priests who had died since the previous Clergy Night. They included Father Felix Preske (Deacon Preske's brother) and Msgr. William Lautner. The new officers of the Evans- ville Serra Club are Greg Kempf Jr., president; Stephen Thomas, vice president for programs; Helen Kremzar, vice president for membership; John Davidson, vice president for vocations; Theresa Forster, vice president for com- munications; Mike DeJean, sec- retary; Jack Memmer, treasurer; Steve Titzer, Pat Donahue and Ken Schenk, trustees; and Brad Bath, immediate past president. 1975, and was He went to St. '] Jasper, as 1982, and to nell in 1990. St. AnthonY established in 1864. There are 1,499 according to F imm tion program dents, statistics. Representation Since 1946 Robert J. Pigman Sheila M. Corcoran Mark W. Rict00# Charles L. Berger Andrew S. Ward Call (812) 425-8101 or (800) 3270812 lnternet: www. bergerlaw, com 313 Main Street Evansville, Indiana 47708-I485