Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
July 3, 1998     The Message
PAGE 1     (1 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 1     (1 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 3, 1998
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




information was rSt. Ferdinand Church. "nand to celebrate years, new center 12, St. Ferdi- in Ferdinand will of continuous uilding and of the recently Life Center. on the present was begun by Kundek in 1845 churches proved for the rapidly in Ferdi- time of its con- present church by 109 feet and at the highest point It cost $1,940 :and was primarily Leopoldine Soci- The rear 53 feet tower were 1866, bringing the !to its present size. was first used in no record has an exact date Mass celebrated unique lea- paintings artist, Paul which date to paintings by in 1869, of the cross which The pillars of the church are not perfectly erect, nor are they the same dis- tance apart. This may be par- tially due to the fact that the construction workers consumed a keg of beer and five gallons of whiskey during the "raising" of the church on Dec. 12, 1847. In 1973 the wooden altar was replaced by an altar made of Royal Danby Vermont marble which weighs 5,000 pounds. The only time the church was not in use (other than for brief periods of renovation) was in 1849. In a letter to Father Joseph Kundek on March 27, 1849, Bishop Maurice de St. Palais placed the parish under interdict because a priest "can not reside there without danger for his life or Character, dearer to him than life itself." Therefore the bishop "directed Father Kundek "to remove the Vestments and sacred Vessels from the Church wherein the holy sacrifice will not be offered until peace will be fully restored and charity reign among you." By the beginning of August of that same year the conflict was resolved and the services of a priest restored. The new Spiritual Life Center was begun in 1996 and just recently completed. It contains the offices of the parish staff, 13 classrooms, a small chapel, a quilting room, the St. Vincent de Paul food pantry, a baby-sitting room, the parish library, a small conference room and a large room for holding parish meet- ings and dinners following funerals, etc. The architect was Seufert and Associates and the general contractor was Seufert Construction Company, both of Ferdinand. Many items in the building were made or donated by parishioners. Reverend Philip Kreilein is the pastor of the parish, with Reverend Jack Durchholz as associate pastor. Providence Sis- ter Ruth Ellen Doane is pastoral associate, Jane Jochim secretary, Michelle Paulin director of reli- gious education, Betty Knust assistant director of religious education and Sylvan Englert director of maintenance. Bishop Gerald Gettelfinger will officiate at the !0:30 am Mass on July 12 to celebrate 150 years in the church building. He will dedicate the Spiritual Life Center after the Mass, . , Parishioners will then gather at the Ferdinand Community Center for a meal and celebra- tion. A history of the parish since 1940, with an updated version of Father John Schipp's listing of immigrants to Ferdinand, will go on sale at the celebration. Blocks depicting pasto., significant events and other memorable activities are part of a quilt made by parish, loners of Holy Family Church; Jasper. The parish cele- brated its fiftieth anniversary June 27. See page 2for story, more photos. -- Message photo by Father John Boeglin News Service changes canon law, calls for acceptance of Church teaching that only men could be Catholic Church," the doctrinal when dealing with church (CNS) --Cit- need to defend the Pope John Paul II Code of Canon Underline Catholics' to accept church was adding to canon law "to of the Catholic y when that are but have not been Proclaimed as infaM- In an apostolic letter, "Ad Tuendam Fidem" ("To Defend the Faith"), the pope ordered the changes to be made in the Latin-rite and Eastern-rite codes of canon law. The Vatican press office dis- tributed the letter June 30 in Latin and Italian after all other Vatican offices had closed for the day. The office also pub- lished a commentary in several languages written by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. The commentary said the pope's 1994 letter explaining t the Message? contact Paul Newland. For Around the and People We Care About, Hughes. For Bulletin Board or circulation, Etta Kiefer. the editor, Paul R. Leingang. The Message, EO. Box 4169, Evansville (812) 424-5536, or toll-free in Indiana (800) t2) 424-O972. 0rg ordained to the priesthood was an example of the teachings that require "finn and definitive assent," even if they are not solemnly proclaimed as infalli- ble. "Whoever denies these truths would be in a position of reject- ing a truth of Catholic doctrine and would, therefore, no longer be in full communion with the congregation said. Canon 750 of the Latin code and Canon 598 of the Eastern code say Catholics must believe all that is contained in the writ- ten Word of God and all that has been proclaimed as being divinely revealed. The pope added a second paragraph to each code to underline the assent required teaching that has not been pro- claimed as divinely revealed but has been taught as belonging to the Catholic faith and its unbro- ken tradition. The new para- graph says: "Each and every thing defini- tively proposed by the magis- terium of the church regarding faith and morals, that is those See POPE page 3 By PAUL IL LEINGANG Message editor "A Ceremony of Blessing" is scheduled Tuesday, July 7, to bless the progress of construc- tion, expansion and renovation of the twO Catholic high schools in Evansville. Bishop Gerald A. Gettelfinger will preside at the ceremony, which will begin at Mater Dei at 10:.30 and continue at Reitz Memorial at 11:15 a.m. The public is invited to the cer- emony, which is "to give God 8mtitude, and to petition for con- tinued success in the expansion and renovation of the Catholic High Schools in Evansville," according to an announcement sent to area priests, principals, board members, donors, volun- teers and others involved in the $11 rrfillion capital campaign. Contractors have been select- ed for the various projects at the two schools. Preliminary con- struction is planned for the summer, so that returning stu- dents and teachers will face only minimal disruption at the start of the school year. The first visible signs of con- struction will be t removal of the "Mater Dei" statue to a tent' porary location at Mater Dei High School, and the removal of a poxtion of the Faculty Resi- dence Hall at Memorial High School. Planning a TEC Retreat ........ . ........ Page 2 i ' Page 3 Onto the Interact, ' Easing ............. Camping ,,., ........... Page 13 Construction starting at Catholic high schools