Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
June 21, 1996     The Message
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 9     (9 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 21, 1996
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Task Force recommendations I 2005 9a.m. on Sunday. force recommends along with continue to have The two priests Sacramental ser- area of the Petersburg and Paul is the parish in Pike was estab- 47, but did not eat pastor until of Evansville, nry j. Grimmels- inted Father in 1946. Dietsch has since 1990- riod when a tor- Lt death and de- des Thorn charge of RCIA, Orne, DRE; and 147 families, education pro- total of 87 stu- elementary Parish staffing that a ied to Sts. Peter stly ministry by the two to the Wash- Mary !hurch, in Barr aviess County, to the Roman who sailed in the The ram- "Maryland came to n north of the Ohio River to purchase land from the government in Daviess and Martin counties. The parish was established in 1834, to serve about 150 families. Bishop Simon Brutd blessed the first church build- ing in the same year he was !n- stalled as the First Bishop of the Diocese of Vincennes. St. Mary was the third church es- tablished in the diocese. Only the Old Cathedral in Vin- cennes and nearby St. Peter, Montgomery, are older. Father Frank Renner, resi- dent pastor of All Saints Church, Cannelburg, is pastor of St. Mary Church. Membership is listed at 50 families, or 114 individuals. A total of 11 students take part in pre-school, elementary and high school religious education. Sunday Mass is celebrated at 10 a.m. The task force recommends that St. Mary become an ora- tory, where Mass would be cel- ebrated only on special occa- sions. Members of the Catholic community would continue to be responsible for upkeep of the building and of the adja- cent cemetery. St. Michael St. Michael Church was es- tablished in 1888. Father Low- ell Will, resident pastor at St. Peter, Montgomery, is the pas- tor. He also is pastor of St. Patrick Church, at Coming, in Daviess County. Parish staff includes Mary Sue Wiscaver, DRE at the three parishes, and Marita Wagler, music minister. St. Michael lists 21 families, or 80 individuals. Sunday Mass is celebrated at 10:30 a.m. St. Michael Church is recom- mended to become an oratory, with Mass celebrated on spe- cial occasions. St. Patrick St. Patrick Church, at Com- ing, an area of Daviess County, has 33 families, or 81 individ- ual members. Father Lowell Will, resident pastor of St. Peter, Mont- gomery, is the pastor. He also serves St. Michael Church, Daviess County. Parish staff includes Mary Sue Wiscaver, DRE at the three parishes, and Mary Thombleson. Mass is celebrated on Sun- day at 7:30 a.m. St. Patrick will become an oratory, according to the task force recommendation. The Catholic community will con- tinue to maintain the adjacent cemetery. Shoals St. Mary, in an area then known as "Memphis," was es- tablished in 1869. A Catholic community, however, was es- tablished earlier, in 1853, and that community was served by Father Patrick Murphy from Loogootee. In 1945, after the Diocese of Evansville was established, Father Anthony Roach was ap- pointed to the church at Whit- field as pastor, and also to care for the community at Shoals as a mission parish. Such a cooperative arrange- ment has been typical over the years. Since 1983, Msgr. Carl Shetler has been administrator of the parish at  Shoals, and pastor of the parish in Whitfield, where be re- sides. Starting in July of this year, Father Gre- gory Spencer will pro- vide pastoral care for Fort Branch. St. Simon Church has had an associate pastor for much of its history as part of the Dio- cese of Evansville. Recent asso- ciates have included Father Michael Fritsch, a priest from the Archdiocese of Indianapo- lis, who served in the Diocese of Evansville on a temporary basis; and Father Robert Temme, who is no longer in ac- tive priestly ministry. In recent years, Father Ed- ward Schnur was assigned to "the Catholic Community of Washington." He served as as- sociate pastor for both parishes, from 1991 until he was appointed pastor of St. Bernard Church, Rockport, in 1994. Currently, no associate pas- ter is assigned in Washington, and the future parish staffing task force recommends that only one church in the diocese -- St. Joseph in Jasper -- will be able to have an associate in 2005. St. Mary Church was estab- lished in 1874. It was the last German national parish to be established in what was then the Diocese of Vincennes. (Vin- cennes and Evansville, among other cities, already had such parishes established.) The Catholic School at St. Mary was started by the founding pastor, Father John Peter Sassel, a newly ordained native of Luxembourg. Efforts to lessen the differ- ences between the "German- Catholics" and the "Irish- Catholics" were made by Father William A. Jochum, who was appointed in 1912, during World War I. He de- ight diocesan priests currently serve the 12 parishes in the Shoals and for the Washington Deanery. parish in Bramble, where he will reside. St. Mary lists 101 families, or 210 individ- uals. Parish staff in- cludes Agnes Cooper, bookkeeper, and Alice Boyd, coordinator of re- ligious education. Sunday Mass is cele- brated at 8 a.m. The old rectory at Shoals was demolished, and a new parish hall was constructed at that site in 1988. The future .parish staffing task force recommends that a PLC serve both parishes at Shoals and Bramble, from Bramble. The proposal does not call for resident staff at Shoals. Priestly' ministry would be provided by two priests recommended for the Loogootee and Montgomery parishes. Washington In 2005, only four diocesan priests will be available, if the task force projections hold true. creed that all sermons and classes be taught in English. St. Simon Church was estab- lished in 1837. Father Simon Petit Lalumibre, a Vincennes native, was the first pastor. He was the first priest ordained by Bardstown Bishop Joseph Flaget, for the newly develop- ing Northwest Territory. Father Lalumire arrived in 1828 to serve St. Peter, Mont- gomery and St. Mary, Daviess County. He wrote to a friend in 1831 of the "prospect of having a Catholic Church built in the thriving town of Washington.  As Washington's Catholic population grew, a school was established at St. Simon in 1847, taught by the Brothers of St. Joseph. Sisters of Provi- dence came to teach in 1857. The parish schools were con- Father Ronald Zgunda is pastor of St. Mary, Washing- ton. Father David Martin is the pastor of St. Simon Church. The two priests for- merly served as co-pastors of solidated in 1973. Dennis Bradley is the cur- rent principal of Washington Catholic Schools. There are 35 lay teachers and one religious in the school system, which has an enrollment of 279 ele- mentary, 111 middle and 112 St. Simon Church, until their current assignments began in 1991. Father Bernard Lutz was as- signed to St. Mary from 1989 to 1991, when he was ap- pointed pastor of Holy Cross, high school students. The consolidated religious instruction program has a total of 48 students in pre-school, el- ementary and high school. The task force recommenda- tions for Washington include " priest pastors for the two parishes. They also will be ex- pected to serve Sts. Peter and Paul Church, Petersburg, where a PLC is recommended. St. Mary Church lists 553 families, or 1,237 individuals. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturday at 6 p.m., and on Sunday at 7:30 and 10 a,m. Parish staff at St. Mary in- cludes Yvonne Evans, pastoral associate; William and Beth Babrick, youth ministers; Mar- garet Wichman, music minis- ter, and Lorraine Heath, parish secretary. St. Simon Church lists 843 families, or 2,098 individuals. Weekend Masses are cele- brated on Saturday at 5:15 p.m. and on Sunday at 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. Parish staff at St. Simon in- cludes Sister Rose Ann Muller, pastoral associate; Michael S. Morris, deacon; Greg Lither- land, coordinator of religious, education, William and Beth Babrick, youth ministers, and Deanna Youngs, parish secre- tary. Whitfield St. Martin Church was built in 1875 on a foundation of stones taken from an earlier mission church, St. Rose Chapel, at nearby Mount Pleasant. The mission church was established in 1840, but shortly afterwards, the population of the area shifted toward Loo- gootee, Early parishioners at St. Martin were Irish immigrants and first- generation Irish fami- lies. They formed the "Haw Creek Congrega-, tion," according to parish history. The parish is on the boundary line between Martin and Daviess counties. Some stu- dents attend school at Montgomery in Daviess County; others go to school at Loogootee in Martin County. Msgr. Carl Shetler has served as pastor since 1983. In July of this year, Msgr. Shetler, 73, will relinquish pastoral responsibilities for St. Mary, Shoals -- a parish he has also served since 1983. St. Martin lists 174 families, or 500 individuals. Parish staff includes Oenone Bradley, bookkeeper, Philip Todd and Cathy Todd, coordinators of re- ligious education, and Kenneth Lannan, youth minister. The religious education pro- gram serves 62 elementary and 27 high school age stu- dents. Masses are celebrated on Saturday at 5:30 p.m and on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. The task force recommends that a PLC be appointed for the parish at Whitfield. Sacra- mental service will be ar- ranged in cooperation with the Loogootee/Montgomery area parishes, where two priests will be assL,cd, according to the task force proposal.