Newspaper Archive of
The Message
Evansville, Indiana
May 8, 1998     The Message
PAGE 19     (17 of 20 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 19     (17 of 20 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
May 8, 1998
 

Newspaper Archive of The Message produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




17 The Message -- for Catholics of Southwestern Indiana priests receive new assignments : BypAUL R. LEINGANG Message editor Father Ackerman: St. Mary, Ireland Father Donald K. "Doc" Ack- erman is the new pastor of St. Mary Church, Ireland. Father Ackerman, who will be 63 on June 4, has been pastor of St. John the Baptist Church, Vin- cennes, since 1986. He was ordained March 18, 1961. His assignments have included parishes and schools throughout the diocese. He was an associate Peter and Paul, Haubstadt, and Holy current assignment in Vin- of St. Patrick Church, Coming; St. Dubois, and co-pastor of Holy Family, ght at Rex Mundi High School, Washington Catholic High School, superintendent of Memorial High Served as Dean of the Vincennes Deanery records of the diocese, St. Mary, Ire- as the Annunciation of the Blessed just west of Jasper, is in Dubois part of the Jasper Deanery. It was estab- and currently lists 786 families among i ' Haubstadt R. "Kenny" of St. Father ordained May 27, in Evans- and as asso- FATHER BETZ :. Joseph Church, St. John Church, Loogootee; St. John the Baptist Church, Theresa Church, Evansville. has been pastor of St. Mary Church, weekend assistance at St. Mary ). He has been pastor of St. Mary, in honor of St. James the Greater, is of the Vanderburgh-Gib- It Is part of the Princeton Deanery. in 1847, and currently has 375 faro- School has 134 pupils. Father Dick: Retirm6nt Father Firmus J. Dick is retir- ing, effective May 31, after 44 years in the active ministry of the priesthood. Father Dick, 70, has been pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Schnellville, since 1988. He was born Dec. 9, 1927, and ordained April 4, 1954. He was associate pastor of St. Joseph Church and Christ the King churches in Evansville; and pas- Church, Bramble; St. Ferdinand John the Baptist Church, Vin- Church, Cannelburg; St. Mary I Page 1 parish in the Evansville West Dean- Pastor and an associate pastor, Father and Father Jack Durchholz. When the take effect, the only other parish- and associate pastor will be Holy Heart in Evansville, and St. Joseph listed by parish, please turn to page 15. Church, Barr Township (administra for) and St. Bernard Church, Rockport. Father Erbacher: St. Peter and All Saints Father Joseph F. Erbacher, 52, returns to a familiar part of the diocese, as pastor of two parish- es in Daviess County, St. Peter Church, Montgomery, and All Saints Church, Cannelburg. Father Erbacher, ordahled March 25, 1972, has been as associate at Holy Rosary and Christ the King FATHER churches, both in Evansville, and ERBACHER St. Joseph Church, Jasper. In 1976, Father Erbacher was named temporary administrator of St. Peter and All Saints, and also of St. Patrick Church, Coming. In 1977, he also took on teaching responsibilities at Washington Catholic High School. In 1979, he was pastor of All Saints and St. Patrick, and in 1981, he also served as administrator of St. Mary Church, Barr Township. Father Erbacher was named pastor of St. John the Baptist Church, Vincennes, in 1983. From 1986 to 1997, he was pastor of St. Anthony Church, St. Anthony. Sharing of pastors has been a practice of long stand- ing in Montgomery and Cannelburg. Until 1997 when they were designated as chapels, St. Patrick, St. Michael and St. Mary frequently were cared for by priests in Montgomery and Cannelburg. The recent history of All Saints and St. Mary also con- tains a diocesan first: the two parishes were the first to share a deacon as a pastoral life coordinator. Deacon Donald Lahay was in charge of the two parishes for several years. St. Peter, Montgomery, founded in 1818, currently has 178 families. All Saints, Cannelburg, was established in 1891, and currently lists 54 families. St. Patrick, Coming, was established in 1840. St. Michael, Daviess County, was established in 1888. St. Mary Church, Barr Township, was established in 1834. It was designated a chapel in 1997 and parish records were transferred to St. Joseph Church, Bramble. The parishes in Montgomery and Cannelburg are in the Washington Deanery. Father Kuykendalh Nativity and Holy Spirit Father Henry L. Kuykendall, 58, is the first priest in diocesan history to be named pastor of two parishes in Evansville. Father KUykendall, pastor of Nativity Church since 1990, will also be the pastor of neighboring Holy Spirit Church.. Father Kuykendall was FATHER ordained June 6, 1986. He has KUYKENDALL been active in Catholic Ministry of the Deaf since that time. He has served as associate pastor of Holy Redeemer, Evansville, and of St. John the Baptist, Newburgh. Nativity Church, founded in 1962, currently has 308 families. Holy Spirit Church, founded in 1952, has 641 families. The school at Nativity was closed in 1971; at Holy Spirit, the school has an enrollment of 200 pupils. Nativity and Holy Spirit are parishes in the Evans- ville East Deanery. .... Father Madden: SL Matthew, Mount Vernon Father Michael T. Madden is the new pastor of St. Matthew Church, Mount Vernon. Father Madden, 49, was ordained Aug. 22, 1975. During the early years of his priesthood, he served as associ- ate pastor of St. Wendel Church, St. Wendel, and of Christ the FATHER King and Holy Spirit, both in MADDEN Evansville. He also served in the Diocesan Tribunal and taught at Memorial High School, Evansville Father Madden was pastor of St. James, Haubstadt, from 1984 to 1997; he also was Dean of the Princeton Deanery from 1987 to 1994. St. Matthew Church was founded in 1857. There are 448 families in the parLh, which operates a hool for 112 pupils. St. Matthew is in the Evansville West Deanery. t Father Ralph Schipp Sacred Heart, Schnellville Father Ralph H. Schipp has devoted much of the last two decades to hospital ministry as chaplain of St. Mary's Medical Center, Evansville. He is also active in Cursillo, as diocesan spiritual director. Father Schipp, 60, is the new pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Schnellville. FATHER Father Schipp was ordained RALPH SCHIPP May 27, 1965. His ministry has included service as associate pastor of St. Wendel Church, St. Wendel, and of Sacred Heart and Holy Rosary, both in Evansville. He was pastor of St. Bernard, Rockport; co-pastor of Holy Family, Jasper, and pastor of St. Philip, Posey County. Sacred Heart was founded in 1876. There are 244 families in the parish. Schnellville is near the eastern edge of the diocese, in Dubois County. Sacred Heart is part of the Jasper Deanery. Father Swartz: Sacred Heart, Vincennes Father Joseph M Swartz, 48, is the new pastor of Sacred Heart, Vincennes, where he served as an associate in the late 1970s, Father Swartz, was ordained May 31, 1975. He went to Mount Vernon as associate pastor in 1986, and has been pastor of St. Matthew since 1990. Previously, FATHER he was associate pastor of St. SWARTZ John, Loogootee; Sacred Heart, Evansville; Sts. Peter and Paul, r: Redeemer, Evansville. Father Swartz also served as administrator of Sts. Peter and Paul Church, Petersburg, and he taught at Rivet High School, Vincennes. Sacred Heart was established in Vincennes in 1908; there are 586 families in the parish. The parishes of Vincennes operate Flaget Elementary and Rivet High schools.: Father Traylon St. John, Vincennes Father William Traylor, a Vin- cennes native, is the new pastor of St. John the Baptist Church, Vincennes. Father Traylor, 48, recently served as pastor of a parish at the American College Catholic University in Leuven, Belgium. After his return to the United States, Father Traylor completed a sabbatical, and has been serving as temporary administrator of Sacred Heart Church, Vincennes. FATHER TRAYLOR i Father Traylor has been associate pastor at Holy Spir- it and Holy Redeemer, both in Evansville, and Holy Cross, Fort Branch. He was administrator of St. Joseph, Vanderburgh County, in 1979. He was appointed pastor of St, Agnes Church, Evansville, in 1985. St. John the Baptist Church, established in 1847, cur- renfly has 786 families. The parishes of Vincennes oper- ate Flaget Elementary and Rivet High School. Father Vogler SL Mary's Medical Center Father Jean E Vogler, 53, has been appointed chaplain at St. Mary's Medical Center, Evansville i Fa Vogler was ordained Feb. 28, 1970, Father Vogler has been an associate pastor at St. Theresa and Christ the King ch, both in Evans- rifle, and at St. James, Haubstadt, He has been diocesan director of Catholic Communications, and a teacher at Memorial High School. See PRIESTS page, 20